Swim spas are becoming an increasingly popular choice for homeowners who want to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of swimming without the cost and upkeep associated with a full-sized pool.
If you’ve just purchased a swim spa and are curious about how to maintain it, one of the biggest jobs you have to take care of is draining and filling your swim spa.
Not only does this provide an important part of regular maintenance for your swim spa, but it can also help keep the water clean and clear by removing all of the dirt, oils, sweat, and other materials that accumulate in the tub over time.
This article on how to drain a swim spa will provide step-by-step instructions on how to correctly drain a swim spa so you can keep yours running smoothly. So if you want to ensure your new investment is taken care of properly from day one, read on as we dive into how exactly to drain and fill a swim spa!
Why Do You Need to Drain a Swim Spa?
Draining a swim spa is part of what enables it to remain clean and hygienic. Over time, contaminants such as dirt, oils, sweat, and more can build up in the water, making it cloudy and unsightly. To keep your swim spa looking its best for years to come, you’ll have to regularly drain out all of this unwanted material.
Additionally, chlorination is used to keep the water clean and clear. However, if too much chlorine accumulates in the water, it can start to damage your swim spa’s components over time. By draining out some of the water regularly, you can ensure that there isn’t an excessive amount of chlorine built up in the tub.
Before you start to drain your swim spa, it’s important to make sure that you have all of the necessary items. These include:
- A hose
- A discharge pump (which can usually be rented from a local pool supply store)
- Several five-gallon buckets for collecting the water
- Heavy-duty gloves to protect your hands
The Benefits of Having a Swim Spa
1. Staying in Shape
Swim spas provide a great way to stay in shape and relax after an exhausting day. Not only do they offer a low-impact workout, but their larger size also makes them ideal for entertaining family and friends. Plus, many swim spas come with built-in massage chairs and jets, so you can get the full spa experience at home!
Swim spas are known for their therapeutic benefits, such as providing relief from arthritis, joint pain, and other ailments. The powerful jets in a swim spa can be used to increase circulation and reduce tension in the body, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated after every session.
3. Cost Savings
Compared to traditional pools, swim spas are much more cost-effective. Not only do they require less maintenance and upkeep, but their smaller size also means that you’ll be able to save money on energy bills in the long run.
10 Ways How to Drain a Swim Spa
1. Shut Off the Power
Shut off the power to your swim spa before beginning the draining process. This is an important safety precaution to take as you don’t want any electrical shocks while draining the water. Shutting off the power will also prevent any issues with the jets or other components.
2. Connect Your Hose
Next, you’ll need to connect one end of your garden hose to a spigot on the side of your swim spa and attach it firmly. Make sure that all connections are secure before turning on the water. Connecting your hose should be done before you turn on the pump.
3. Turn on the Discharge Pump
Now, it’s time to start draining the water from your swim spa by turning on the discharge pump. The discharge pump is used to remove all of the dirty and contaminated water from the tub quickly and efficiently. Make sure that the hoses connected to the pump are properly secured, as you don’t want any water spilling out onto the floor.
4. Start Collecting Water
Once the discharge pump is running, start collecting the discharge water in five-gallon buckets for disposal. This will ensure that no one trips over it or slips on it while it’s draining. Be sure to wear heavy-duty gloves when handling the water, as it can be quite dirty.
5. Disconnect and Drain
Once all of the water has been removed, disconnect the hose from the swim spa and allow any remaining water to drain out completely. Make sure that all drains are open, as you don’t want any standing or pooled water in your swim spa.
6. Clean and Refill the Tub
Once all of the water has been removed, it’s time to clean and refill the tub. Start by wiping down the sides of the spa with a cloth and some warm, soapy water. Afterward, use a hose to begin filling up the swim spa with fresh water until it is at the desired level.
7. Balance and Treat the Water
Now that your swim spa is filled with fresh water, it’s time to balance and treat it. To do this, you’ll want to measure the pH levels of the water using a test kit and add any chemicals or treatments as necessary to make sure they are within the proper range.
8. Turn the Power Back On
Once all of the steps above have been completed, it’s time to turn the power back on and let your swim spa heat up. Make sure that all of the jets are functioning properly before you jump in. Depending on how long it has been since you drained and refilled your swim spa, it may take a few hours for it to reach the desired temperature.
9. Test and Enjoy
Once everything is running smoothly, you’ll want to test out your swim spa to make sure that everything is working properly. Afterward, all that’s left to do is enjoy your swim spa!
10. Perform Regular Maintenance
To keep your swim spa running smoothly, it’s important to remember to perform regular maintenance. This includes draining and refilling the water every few months, as well as testing and balancing the pH levels of the water on a regular basis. Doing this will ensure that your swim spa is always clean and safe for use.
Draining and filling a swim spa can be a time-consuming task, but it is necessary to ensure that your swim spa remains clean and working properly for years to come.
8 Safety Precautions When Draining a Swim Spa
Draining a swim spa is an important part of its maintenance. It’s essential to follow safety precautions to ensure successful draining and prevent any damage or injury. Here are 8 safety precautions to consider when draining your swim spa:
1. Get familiar with all local plumbing regulations. Before starting, make sure you know all local regulations regarding swim spa draining. Getting approval from your local authorities can help ensure you don’t face any complications or fines.
2. Wear protective gear. Make sure to wear gloves and eye protection when draining your swim spa to protect yourself from splashing water, debris, and other potential hazards.
3. Turn off all power sources. Shut off the power to the swim spa before starting the draining process to avoid any electrical hazards.
4. Make sure the area is dry and clear of debris. Dry off the swim spa and remove any debris that could be blocking or obstructing the drain lines. This will help make sure you have a successful, draining experience.
5. Read all instructions carefully before beginning. Make sure to read all relevant instructions on how to properly drain your swim spa. Properly following the instructions is essential for a successful draining process.
6. Have a plan before starting. Make sure you have planned out the entire draining process from start to finish, including where to put any removed parts or debris and what kind of pumps, hoses, or other tools you may need.
7. Have access to a professional. Before beginning the draining process, make sure you have access to a professional that can help with any complications or questions that may arise during the process.
8. Be patient and take breaks when needed. The draining process can be time-consuming and tiring, so it’s important to take frequent breaks and remain patient throughout the entire experience.
Following these safety precautions when draining your swim spa can help ensure the process is safe and that you have a successful draining experience. For more detailed information on how to drain a swim spa, consult an expert or read the manual that came with your specific model.
To summarize, draining your swim spa is a much simpler and easier process than it may seem. Remember to always start by disconnecting the power supply and keep plenty of buckets or tarps nearby in order to collect runoff water.
If you need any more assistance regarding how to drain your swim spa, it’s best to contact a specialist. Being informed of this process is essential in order for your swimming spa to last as long as possible!
Take the time now to get familiar with the draining strategy and start maintaining your investment sooner rather than later. With these tips and tricks at your disposal, you can rest easy knowing that draining your swim spa will be successful and hassle-free! Follow the instructions on how to drain a swim spa above and enjoy your swim spa for years to come.